Sunday, April 7, 2013

Banana Berry Muffins

I've had a really productive weekend! 

A lot of cleaning and laundry got done, although I still haven't gotten around to the bathtub.  We cleaned up and organized the nursery after months of it being the random dumping ground for stuff we didn't immediately have a place for.  The books are now on their bookshelf!
I'm now working on plans on how to finally decorate the nursery properly (currently we have some elephant & giraffe wall decals from the dollar store).
Between that, my desire to paint the kitchen and finally sorting out the garden for this upcoming season, I think I'll be busy in the next few months.

I also spent some time in the kitchen this weekend. 
I used the breadmaker to make pizza dough, which I then divided and put in the freezer for easy meals later on.  I just have to remember to take some dough out to defrost either the night before or the morning of so that we can have pizza or calzones for dinner.
Dinner tonight was pretty tasty.  I made oven-baked tilapia fish fingers for the baby and partner.  We also had steamed broccoli, green cauliflower and carrots, and partner made roasted baby and sweet potatoes.

Right before dinner, I decided that it was time to make some muffins.  Since we had several bananas & a bag of frozen mixed berries in the freezer, Banana Berry Muffins were the obvious choice.


Don't they look good?

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
3 large bananas, mashed
1 egg
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter or margarine (if using margarine, omit the salt)
1 cup mixed berries (either frozen or fresh is fine)

Preheat your oven to 350F
In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.  In another, smaller bowl, mix together the bananas, egg & butter and then combine with the dry ingredients.  Add the berries, give it a gentle stir so they are evenly mixed in, then pour into your prepared muffin tin. 
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.

You now should have delicious muffins, perfect for breakfast or snacks.  The great thing about this recipe is that if you omit the berries and up the sugar by a 1/4 cup, you have plain banana muffins.  If you want something a little nutty, you can replace the berries with walnut pieces (or add a 1/2 cup to 1 full cup of nuts or seeds in addition to the berries).  
I hope your own muffins turn out delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment